Friday, May 16, 2008

Un pololo con una polera pálida ... what?



As the date to leave for Chile gets closer, I am beginning to think of essentials. To be able to communicate effectively is pretty necessary, and although I have no problem communicating in Spanish, I am very well aware that words have different meanings in different countries. I dread being part of a conversation and suddenly saying something that is fine with me, but is considered a faux pas in Chilean Spanish. Take the word "bicho", which generally translates to "bug" in most Spanish-speaking countries, but not in Puerto Rico!

I have been warned not to use the word "concha" too casually, rather call shells "caracoles" instead. Luckily, as I was beginning to get worried about how to order Concha y Toro wine, a friend explained that Concha y Toro is a last name - so now I know won't be getting in trouble with that one.

A few years ago, a Chilean friend gave me this little book that I have been reading here and there. Hopefully it will help me choose the right words in Spanish. It's thin and fun to read & find how many words are really not that different from what I know & use.

For the curious ... in Chile a "pololo" is a boyfriend and a "polera" is a t-shirt. Go ask a Puertorican what a "bicho" is or a Chilean what a concha stands for as I'm not going to translate those here!

No comments: