Sunday, May 11, 2008

Books can be dangerous. The best ones can change your life!


I have spent most of today, a rainy and cold Mothers' Day in Milwaukee, reading Lonely Planet's Guide to Chile & Easter Island while listening to Inti-illimani's Leyenda. I figured a cold, rainy day like this is what awaits me in Chile, so I might as well get in the mood. It was interesting to notice how my reading paths intersect: Lonely Planet's Chile & Easter Island mentions Ché's Motorcycle Diaries, a book I happened to have read before I traveled to Oaxaca (no connection that I can tell), and later had a chance to watch as a movie (and embarassed myself crying & sobbing) when it was shown in a summer course at Yale. It all connects to Confieso que he vivido, which in turn connects to Las venas abiertas de América Latina, a book I found to be an awakening when I attended college as a kid.

No wonder I am a librarian: books have shaped my life and have geared me toward other life experiences. Oh, the power of books! As I look at these books connecting my life to Chile, I go back to this quote: "Books can be dangerous. The best ones should be labeled "This could change your life." by Helen Exley.

Oh, if I could only have guessed what Confieso que he vivido, Las venas abiertas de América Latina, and Diarios de motocicleta were going to bring into my life! And yet I still don't know what is to come!!!! And suddenly I find a book I had purchased quite about a year ago, before I knew I would visit Chile and haven't yet read: Inés del alma mía.
Am I beginning to look at my life through the books I have read or am I beginning to look at the way the books I have read connect to my life?
I guess I cannot help it. I am getting old.

Here is link to beautiful music and a piece of the Motorcycle Diaries movie. Interesting the first place I find has images of the main characters riding through San Pedro de Atacama: the first venture out of Santiago that we will take.



No comments: